With many people taking up yoga these days (which is awesome) there are also lots of yoga mats in landfills (which is NOT so awesome).
Brands like Manduka are aware how many cheap crappy yoga mats deteriorate fast and contribute to waste and thankfully they caught on to this early on in 1997 when they designed the PRO and PROlite mats—to last you a lifetime so you never need to replace your yoga mat ever again.
But before you upgrade and toss your old yoga mat did you know that you can actually repurpose and give it a new life? Check out my list below for 30 ways how you can reuse your old yoga mat!
- Donate your yoga mat to an animal shelter (mats are used in cages)
- Donate your yoga mat to a nursing home so that seniors don’t slip when getting out of bed
- Put it under your cat’s litter box to keep the area clean and for easier clean up for litter spills
- Use it a base for kids to do their messy arts and crafts project on for easier clean up
- Use it instead of bubble wrap to ship packages via snail mail
- Create a wristpad and a mouse pad
- Bring it to the beach instead of your regular old beach towel
- Keep it in your car’s trunk to stop groceries from sliding around; for a spur-of-the-moment picnic; as a seat cover for those hard uncomfortable bleachers when cheering on your kid at their soccer game
- For soundproofing your room when playing piano or other instruments. Just put it up against the wall behind you
- When transporting your dog to the vet, roll the mat on the backseat to prevent scratches on the seats
- Use it as an extra sleeping mat for camping or for extra padding under an air mattress
- Put it under your home exercise equipment to protect your floors from scratching and sweat. If you live on the top floor of an apartment your downstairs neighbors will also thank you for it
- Roll out the mat in front of your dryer in the laundry room so that the clothes you accidentally drop stay clean
- Use it by the pool to keep your feet clean free from grass and burning your feet from the hot cement
Old Yoga Mat DIY Projects
- Turn them into shelf-liners in your cabinets and drawers
- Use them as jar openers (not sure if this works but it’s worth a try)
- Make your own coasters
- Create your own doormat for your home or when camping. You can be creative and spray paint them with a message
- Use it under your drying rack for the dishes that are air drying
- Create a seat cushion for your kitchen chairs
- Use them as foot pads under chairs and other furniture to stop them from scratching floors
- Use it as bulletin board or as your base for your vision board
- Use it as a liner under your house plants
- Create knee pads for gardening (or simply use the mat when gardening)
- Plug up drafty places to save energy in your home
- Create kid’s toys, masks, and costumes. You can even make stamps with the mat (just remember to use non-toxic paint)
- Create your own DIY laptop and tablet case
- Make fun Christmas tree ornaments using holiday cookie cutters to cut out the shape
- Line the bottom of your trash can
- Last but not least recycle your yoga mat! Don’t throw it to the trash! Most yoga mats made from rubber, plastic, PVC and latex so they are recyclable
I hope you liked my compiled list on how you you can repurpose your yoga mat and that it gave you some ideas.
=>If you’re in the market for a new mat, check out my reviews on the new Manduka X yoga mat, and the PRO and PROlite mats<=
How will you recycle your yoga mat? Do you have any ideas that I missed?
Leave a comment or question below.
PS: I respond to all comments.