The Manduka eQua hand yoga towel is a popular yoga hand towel among yogis. Read my review to find out how this accessory will enhance your yoga practice.
Do you need a Yoga Hand Towel if You Have a Yoga Mat Towel?
No, but it’s worth the consideration because they both have different purposes.
A yoga hand towel is a handy accessory to have during intense yoga classes like Vinyasa, Ashtanga or Power Yoga—and a must for Hot Yoga and Bikram yoga to wipe the sweat off your face.
Because a yoga mat towel is lying flat over your yoga mat and you are on it, it’s impossible to wipe your brow unless you do some weird movements in attempt to brush your face on your yoga mat towel. Not only does it look weird, I don’t think anyone has ever done because it’s just too weird.
What Are the Differences Between a Yoga Hand Towel and a Yoga Mat Towel?
- Yoga hand towels are used to sop up perspiration from the face, hands and other parts of your body.
- A yoga mat towel is used to give you extra grip and traction to your hands and footing and also protect you from germs and bacteria if you’re using public mats. They make way for an easier clean-up too as it’s faster and less labor-intense to clean a yoga mat towel than a yoga mat.
- If your issue is that your hands keep slipping all over your mat (but not your feet) then getting a yoga hand towel is more affordable than replacing your yoga mat. Just dampen your hand towel right before starting your yoga practice to activate the hand towel’s slip-resistance and sweat-activated grip.
=> Check out my post “Yoga Towels—Are They Necessary?” for more info and the most commonly asked questions about yoga towels. <=
Specs and Features of the eQua Hand Yoga Towel:
- Length: 26.5″ x 16″ (67cm x 40cm)
- Weight: 180 grams
- Made of proprietary recyclable microfiber material that is 80% polyester and 20% nylon
Is The Manduka eQua Hand Yoga Towel Right For Me?
If you’re looking for a durable, lightweight, quick-drying towel that can withstand countless of washes and a couple of years worth of yoga practice, this is it.
The eQua hand yoga towel is inexpensive and worth investing in instead of using regular cotton hand towels which not only need to be replaced more frequently (which is more expensive in the long run), but they don’t dry as fast, aren’t as absorbent and may leave a smell while you’re using it during yoga when heavily sweating.
Besides, why would want to keep wiping yourself and spreading sweat all over your face during yoga?
Oh and also, Manduka purposely designed the eQua hand yoga towel with recyclable synthetic material for sustainability so this is also a great choice if you’re eco-conscious and want to reduce waste.
How To Take Care Of My Manduka eQua Hand Yoga Towel?
Machine wash (or by hand) with cold water and like colors, tumble dry low or hang dry.
- Don’t use bleach, dryer sheets, fabric softener or detergents with fabric softeners as this will make your hand towel slick and lose its grippiness
- Don’t wash your hand towel in warm water as it WILL shrink
Because Manduka cares about our planet and sustainability, Manduka used natural dyes free of heavy metals and azo in creating the eQua hand towel. As such you may experience color bleeding in the first couple of washes (watch out especially for those hand towels in deeper colors).
Tip: To be on the safe side, machine wash your towel before first use perhaps even twice. You don’t want to accidentally stain your yoga mat, yoga mat towel and your clothes during practice and ruin your zen.
What Are Others Saying About The eQua Hand Yoga Towel?
In my research about this yoga hand towel, I’ve barely seen negative reviews which is why Manduka’s eQua hand yoga towel has a rating our 4.4 out of 5 stars and 5 out of 5 stars (depending which listing you’re looking at) on Amazon.
People like that the eQua hand yoga towel is inexpensive so they can buy a few more; that it dries super quick; is absorbent and that it indeed lasts and washes beautifully while still looking like it was new.
One yogi said they use this towel during gym workouts and the notice that it never gets drenched or unable to absorb more sweat. Other Amazon yogis also use it for extra padding on the knees during yoga or workouts. Another user said she uses it under her back when doing ab exercises.
People praise the hand towel’s smooth finish and how it never feels scratchy like some other microfiber towels can.
- An eco-conscious choice
- Sweat activated grip
- Soft-suede like feel
- Compact, portable
- Durable for many years to come
- Easy to wash
- Versatile uses (can also be used at the gym, for hiking, etc.)
- Plain colors (but this is made up with cool yoga hand towel names like Mystique, Magic, Passion, Midnight)
- Color bleeding in the first few washes
Where Can I Purchase the Manduka eQua Hand Yoga Towel?
Will you be incorporating a yoga hand towel to your practice?
Leave a comment or question below.
PS: I respond to all comments.