The Jade Fusion yoga mat is an eco-friendly yoga mat made from natural rubber and famously known as the best thickest yoga mat on the market. Read on this product review to find out if it’s a match for you.
Who Should Use the Jade Fusion Yoga Mat?
- Those looking for a thick mat to protect their knees and joints
- Those who practice Restorative and Iyengar Yoga
- Those who want a natural rubber yoga mat for their practice
- Those who want to own an eco-friendly rubber mat
- Those who want to support a brand that cares for our planet and practices sustainability
- Those who don’t want to use a yoga mat towel over their mat during Hot Yoga and Bikram Yoga
- Those who want a mat that has great grip and traction in both wet and dry conditions and can be used for yoga, pilates and exercises
- Open-cell structure
- Made from natural rubber from the Far East
- 99% latex free
Width: 24″ wide
Length: Available as a 68” and 74”
Weight: 8.5 pounds
Thickness: 8mm (or 5/16”)
- Eco-friendly mat, made of natural rubber
- Feels comfortable
- Thickest mat Jade has to offer
- Extra-padded and cushioned (great for those sensitive knees and joints)
- Multipurpose mat: you can use this for yoga, crossfit, pilates, stretching and as an exercise mat
- Made in the United States
- Made from no PVCs, heavy metals, or ozone depleting substances
- FDA approved
- The 74 inch mat is a great option for tall people
- There is no break-in period (unlike the Manduka PRO)
- Rubber smell will take a few weeks to wear off
- Heavy and bulky
- Not travel-friendly
- Because the mat is so thick, you may have trouble doing balancing poses
- Open cell structure absorbs sweat and moisture into the mat so you need to clean this regularly (you can use a yoga mat wash after each use and do a deep cleaning once in awhile to get rid of buildup)
- 99% latex free but Jade warns that the mat may contain small traces of latex proteins so those with latex allergies might want to avoid this
How to Clean My Jade Fusion Mat?
The Jade Fusion yoga mat is designed with an open cell structure. This means that sweat and moisture easily absorbs into the mat which can be a breeding ground for icky germs and bacteria to grow and which over time causes the mat to lose its grippiness.
However, this can be remedied by cleaning your mat after each use or at the very least when you sweat a lot.
By the way because the mat is so grippy some users people report that dust, lint, dead bugs and animal hairs easily stick onto the mat. This can be remedied by using tape (for the animal hair) and cleaning your mat with a yoga mat wash spray after each use.
To clean the mat, you can spray with Manduka’s Natural Rubber Mat Wash and wipe the solution away with a lint-free microfiber cloth (or you can just let the mat air dry) or you can make and use your own homemade yoga mat cleaner with a vinegar base.
For deep cleaning, Jade recommends that you wash the yoga mat in the bathtub with warm water with a neutral PH soap
In a front loading washing machine in hot water with no detergent, or in cold water with ½ cup of vinegar and a teaspoon of laundry detergent.
Drying the Jade Fusion Mat After Deep Cleaning
Whatever you do don’t dry your mat outside and in front of a window with UV rays shining on it as this will guarantee that you’ll damage the mat.
If you hang it up indoors it should be dry in 24 hours but if you want to dry it faster simply place a large towel on the floor and put your Jade Fusion yoga mat on top of it. Then press the mat down onto the towel to transfer 90% of all the water out.
And because this yoga mat is made of natural rubber you should avoid storing your mat in extreme temperatures such as in the backseat in your car during the summer.
What are Others Saying About the Jade Fusion Yoga Mat?
- At the time of writing this review, the Jade Fusion Yoga Mat has a rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars from 205 yogis.
- The most common praises that I read about this mat is that it has excellent grip during intense, sweaty yoga sessions and that the faint rubber smell may or may not dissipate over time (depending on your sensitivities).
- While the Jade Fusion yoga mat doesn’t have a lifetime guarantee like the Manduka PRO and PROlite many find that this mat lasts for several years and it doesn’t get too worn out even with a daily practice.
- I haven’t seen anyone mention that they use a yoga mat towel over it during heated and athletic types of yoga because the grip is so good in both wet and dry conditions. So while the mat is expensive the good thing is that you invest only in the yoga mat.
- Tall yogis say that that 74 inch mat is the perfect length for them. They also reported that the mat does not stretch itself out when doing extended poses.
- The stickiness in this mat is so good that someone said that if you have pets that the animal hairs will stick onto the mat. So if you have a home practice make sure to keep this mat in a separate room or if you can’t avoid this you can always remove the animal hairs with some tape.
- As for the negative reviews (which are few by the way on Amazon) people complain that the mat is heavy and bulky to carry, the the rubber smell is empowering and because the the mat is so grippy dust, dead bugs, animal hair, and lint will easily stick to it.
Summary – Key Points
- Great mat for those who really need the cushioning and extra padding for sensitive knees and joints and who want a safe, toxin-free all natural rubber mat. When you receive the mat you may notice a lingering rubber tire smell but that should go away after a couple of weeks. The Jade Fusion is also durable for many years to come without many signs of wear.
- One of the most thickest yoga mats available on the market
- Some balancing poses might be tricky because the mat is so thick. In this case you might go for the Manduka PRO 6mm mat (check out my review here) which is 2 mm less thick than the Jade Fusion.
- The Jade Fusion Yoga mat is a heavy and bulky mat but this is to be expected with this thickness so it’s not the best choice for travel.
- This a good mat to practice outside with as it will flatten uneven surfaces
- It’s thick and firm and has a great grip in both wet and dry conditions. However it doesn’t repel sweat because of it’s open cell structure dust, lint, animal hairs, and dead bugs will easily stick to it.
- Good choice for Hot Yoga and Bikram Yoga and even as an exercise mat because of the stickiness. Tall people love the fact that the mat doesn’t stretch itself out.
- You can get rid of the rubber smell by airing the mat out, letting it sit in front of a fan, or using a scented yoga mat spray to neutralize the smell. Whatever you do, make sure you don’t setup your Jade Fusion yoga mat in direct sunlight or else you’ll damage it.
- Natural rubber is a renewable resource so it’s sustainable for the planet.
- What’s also cool is that for every Jade Fusion yoga mat sold, Jade will plant a tree (thanks to their partnership with Trees for the Future).
Where to Buy the Jade Fusion Yoga Mat?
To get an authentic Jade Fusion Yoga Mat, you can purchase it directly at JadeYoga or by clicking at these e-retailers below.
What do you think of the Jade Fusion Yoga Mat? How was your experience practicing with thick yoga mats?
Leave a comment or question below.
PS: I respond to all comments.